The CTIA published a set of universal codes to help define condition grades for mobile devices bought and sold in the retail secondary market. Michelle James, VP Strategic Industry Programs for the CTIA, spoke at the Reverse Logistics Association Conference & Expo in February ‘19 and announced the publication of the universal codes and what that means for the industry (download the PDF).

Reverse Logistics & Service Quality Program

The CTIA advocates on behalf of America’s wireless industry for legislative and regulatory policies. The CTIA’s Reverse Logistics & Service Quality (RLSQ) Program consists of five different working groups that are establishing industry-recognized standards for the aftercare of devices and best practices for the remanufacturing of devices (membership is open for all participating industry companies). The RLSQ program includes the Grading Scale working group that developed the universal condition codes for mobile devices.

RLSQ Quick Facts:

  • 49 participating member companies (including B-Stock)
  • 179 unique participants
  • Over 88 Working Group Calls in 2018
  • 7 F2F meetings in 2018 located throughout the U.S.

Wireless Device Grading Scales Criteria and Definitions

The Grading Scale working group published the document Wireless Device Grading Scales Criteria and Definitions (PDF) that is now available to the industry. While this is a public facing document, Michelle made it clear that, “The CTIA is not policing the standards” and that “they are voluntary and should be used as a baseline.” The CTIA’s goal is to establish standards that the industry can voluntarily follow. Currently, the condition codes focus primarily on phones. Major players like Apple and Samsung, who represent 80% market share, worked on developing the codes and agree to support them. Also on board are companies like LG and Motorola and others who make up the remaining 20% of the market.

RLSQ Next Steps

The next steps for the RLSQ Program is to continue developing standards and best practices for the aftercare of wireless devices and operationalize certification programs for depot facilities, technicians, and retail storefronts. “Device aftercare should never be an afterthought,” said Michelle.

Learn more about the CTIA and the work they are doing with the Wireless Industry.


B-Stock is a member of both the RLA and CTIA. We provide a wholesale liquidation platform for 9 out of the top 10 U.S. retailers, including the top mobile resellers. We invite you to review our case studies, including GameStop and Kingdom Supply, and to browse B-Stock’s mobile marketplaces.  

Request Demo

Join the largest global network of B2B liquidation marketplace

Request Demo

More from the B-Stock Blog

Buying Best Buy Returns: What You Need to Know

In the age of Amazon domination, things have been rough for brick-and-mortar brands. Many have fallen into bankruptcy because they couldn’t keep up with digital behemoths. Yet some brands have risen above the digital disruption to create a brick-and-mortar brand…

Jan 26 2021 · 4 min read

Buying Home Depot Returns: What You Need to Know

The post-holiday season is a big deal for liquidations auctions because retailers are offloading all of those wonderful gifts that people have returned. Often there’s nothing wrong with this merchandise other than it was purchased for someone who didn’t want…

Jan 21 2021 · 4 min read

Buying on B-Stock Europe? 3 Ways to Save Money on Shipping

As any experienced buyer will tell you, when purchasing clearance merchandise to resell you must consider shipping costs. For financial reselling success, you must factor it into your budget. You don’t want shipping to unexpectedly eat up potential profits before…

Jan 20 2021 · 3 min read

Like what you see?

Subscribe to our newsletter to get the latest news from B-Stock.